Actually i thought of making kulcha from many days..i searched in the internet..and took the recipe (fusioned it from many sites )and prepared it but finally this has turned out ..... i don't know what to call..but i am describing this as kulcha only :)
I dont know the exact difference betweeen naan and kulcha except one(kulchass can be stuffed with any vegetables like paratha's but not naan's)
This is my first time making , reviving my college days.During my college days i used to eat naans and kulchaas on every weekend.We had lot of dhabas near by my college,and usually we don't have dinner on every sunday,they will just give evening snacks on that day.We people every weekend ,used to go to dhabas and eat these along with non veg curries.I am a big fan of kulcha....Finally i did it today but end up in a confusion what it is finally turned out :)
Suggest me any changes that i have to make for the preparatin of kulcha and naan and tell me the difference b/w naan and kulchaa friends.. ,so that i will make next time with your changes without any fusion confusion!!
Maida (All Purpose Flour)- 3 Cups
Salt- 1 tsp
Baking Powder- 1 tsp
Dry yeast- 1 tsp
Warm water- 1/4 Cup
curd/ Yogurt - 4 tsp
Sugar- 1 tsp
Ghee - 1/8th cup
Milk /water to make dough
Maida for dusting and rolling dough
1.Mix dry yeast in luke warm water and keep it aside for 5 to 10 min or till foam comes on top of water.
2. sift Maida and add salt, sugar,and baking powder to this flour.
3. Make a well in the middle of the flour and add dissolved dry yeast with water , Yogurt ,oil and knead it.
4. Mix evenely with your hand and if needed add water/milk to make soft dough. Knead the dough for 5to 10 minutes.
5. Gather the dough to form a ball. Lightly apply oil on the ball. Cover with damp kitchen towel or a plastic film wrap. Let it rest about 2 -4 hours at room temperature.6.After the rest time,Knead the dough for about five minutes. Divide dough in to 8 equal small balls. One dough ball will make one Kulcha.
7. Preheat oven to 450º F.
8. Lightly dust the rolling surface with Maida. Put a Dough ball. Flatten the dough with hand. Roll the dough out to form a round, or oval shape about the 1/4 inch thickness.
9. Brush the Kulcha with Ghee. Put the Kulcha on a greased Baking sheet. Bake about 3 to 5 minutes.
10.Instead of using oven you can also use flat pan .I have used flat pan for frying the kulcha.Heat the pan and put kulcha on it,when you see bubbles on it turn the other side apply ghee on it.fry it till golden spots observed on both the sides of the kulcha.11.Serve kulcha with chana masala/chole.