Vangi bath is a Karnataka specialty that you can eat as a brunch/full meal.Other typical karnataka dishes include Bisi bele bath, Jola Rotti, Chapathi, Ragi rotti, Akki rotti, Saaru, Huli, Khara Bath, Kesari Bath, Davanagere Benne Dosa, Ragi mudde, and Uppittu. The famous Masala Dosa traces its origin to Udupi cuisine.Plain and Rave Idli, Mysore, Masala Dosa and Maddur Vade are popular in South Karnataka.
When i was working in bangalore,i always used to eat vangi bath in my off cafeteria,there catering people always make set/masala dosa or idli for breakfast and afternoon lunch includes either bisi bele bath or vanghi bath along with other karnataka dishes.Becoz of that i didn't like set dosa n vangi bath,after many days ..again i did vangi bath today in my kitchen ..now it is awesome :))
raw Basmathi/long grain rice -1 cup
Italian eggplant/indian brinjals-1 big size/7-8 brinjals
potato-1 big size -optional
MTR Vangi bath powder-2 tsp
roasted peanuts-1/2 cup
mixed nuts/Cashews-1/2 cup-(dry roast/roast them in ghee)-optional
dry roasted chana dal and urad dal powder-3 tsp(optional)
Ingredients needed for making paste :
coriander-1 small bunch
shredded coconut powder-1/4th cup(optional)
1. Cook the rice with a pinch of turmeric once rice is done,Let it cool for some time and seperate each grain of rice.
2. Dry roast the shredded coconut and grind this with green chillies and coriander leaves to make a paste using Food processor/mixer.
3. Dry roast the chana dal and urad dal and grind to a powder using mixer.
4.Cut the brinjal length wise and keep it in salt water,cut onions finely.Peel the potato and cut into medium size cubes.In a large pan, heat oil/ghee and do tadaka/seasoning by adding chana dal, urad dal, mustard seeds,cumin seeds, red chillies, curry leaves and fry for few min till all seasoning ingredients become golden brown.
5. Add the finely chopped onions and fry till onions become transparent.Add potatoes, brinjal pieces and fry until all veggies are cooked.Atlast add peas ,cook for few more min and mix gently without breaking them.
6. Add above grinded paste , vangi bath powder along with ghee, salt to the rice and mix well.
7. Add cooked brinjal mixture to the rice , mix well.Atlast add roasted peanuts and nuts to vangi bath and serve hot with raita or any chutney .